High Flight

Monday, July 27, 2009

Why We're Here....

I have to catch up because we came in so late last
night, I wasn’t able to do my journal or blog. Sunday morning we all split up to experience worship
at different missions of Calvary Baptist. James and I
were at the main campus church. When we arrived,
there was a service going on in a native language,
Akan, I think. Ours was next, the English service at
9 a.m.
 
Dave was with us for a few minutes before his ride
took him to another mission. They started doing an
AMAZING version of “Shine, Jesus, Shine.” African
rhythm, drums, trumpet, and lots of energy,
definitely driven by the Holy Spirit. I looked over
at Dave, both of us with our eyes wide as saucers,
and mouthed, “Woooow!” And he mouthed back, “I knooow!” I have to summarize from here because I have so much
else to write tonight. - We saw part of the next service, which was English
and French. The two-language version of “Lord I Lift
Your Name on High” was AH-MEH-ZING!!!!!
 
- Oh yeah, I have to note that in our worship service
alone, we sang SEVENTEEN songs, and we loved every
minute of it. There were four or five songs during
the Lord’s Supper alone. Pastor George preached, and
it was great. He is really Biblically grounded, and
he’s definitely Baptist…they had an overhead
outlining his five points for this, three points for
that. ;)
 
- We sat in on part of the youth service for a little
while. It was loud, student-led until the preaching,
and great. It was also right up against the main
service, and nobody ever seemed to be distracted by
all the loud music. They seem to have great focus here!
 
- We had the privilege of taking the Lord’s Supper at
our service, which was done pretty much like we do
with the deacons and such. Except for all the singing. ;)
 
- We attended small groups that night all over
different parts of the city. Ivy was our group leader
where I attended. We discussed the story of Mary and
Martha.
 
Now for today, Monday!
 
Today, I have to say, was the most powerful day I’ve
had so far. We drove about an hour north to the village. What
struck me most was the juxtaposition of third-world
living conditions alongside things like televisions
and cell phones. I had full bars on my phone, more
than I get in my house!!!
 
While the medical team set up, the rest of us
prepared to go out and do evangelism with the
bracelets. I teamed up with two local church members,
Justice and Joyce. Justice and I really hit it off –
he’s a very intelligent, evangelistic young man. As
we walked, he would ask permission in Akan for us to
enter a porch or other entrance area, and the person
would offer their greeting for me to come in and
talk. (This almost ceremonial routine is just part of
the culture here.) They would prepare a seat each
time and ask me to sit, which I did. Most we spoke with were already Christians, as this
area is highly evangelized by several churches.
However, I found that these Christians were craving
discipling and were excited to hear about things
going on at the mission church we are associated with. They were also excited about using the bracelets to
share their own faith. As I realized most in this
area were Christians, I started verifying their
faith, then teaching them the bracelet story and
having them repeat it back to me, kind of like the
storying method Mark is teaching some of the church
leaders. This was really entertaining to all involved
when the person didn’t speak much English, and
Justice translated on both ends. We all laughed and
it was a great icebreaker to have participation on
their end.
 
The best part of the day was talking with (I think)
Jacob. We started the presentation (translated by
Justice because he only spoke Akan and French), and
he interrupted to tell me that he was a Muslim. I ask
if he would be willing to hear my story and what I
believe, and he said, “I am willing to reason with you.”
 
At this point I’m a little scared, but continue on. I
finish the presentation but add a whole lot about the
“One True God” and such. I ask if he is willing to
receive Jesus as his Lord and Savior “above all other
gods” and – blow me over with a feather – he says
YES. I am floored and exhilarated. We pray together
and I’m as close to preaching as a Baptist woman can
get. LOL He tells me, through Justice, that he would
like to attend church on Sunday at the church we are
helping, and Justice and Joyce give him the information.
 
Because of some other goofy stuff that happened, and
the emotional exhaustion from the above story, I
decided to hide in the church office alone for a
while and rest. Suddenly, several of the local church
members who were helping us came in to eat their
native food they brought.
 
Soon I was eating agushi (YUM!!!) with my hand, as
they do here, joking and learning Akan from the other
ladies. I felt so privileged to share this moment
alone with them.
 
Today I am really starting to understand that God is
using us here, not just to churn out numbers of
instant conversion decisions, but by changing up our
plans, shaking up our ideas of what we thought we
would be doing. As I see it, just from my perspective
(and remember this is my blog, and not necessarily
the perspective of everyone else), today I was there
to help people with the blue and green beads. That
means obedience and growth as a Christian. People
there had already been saved, but they were still
lacking in these areas. We were there to encourage
obedience and to foster their own evangelism.
 
Today has been a challenge to my own walk at the same
time. I still struggle with consistency and growth. I
have told the group that I guarantee I am the
stupidest Christian on the team (forgive the word,
but it’s true!). While it’s comforting to know that
we struggle with the same things, it also makes me
want to take off the gloves and get serious. If my
brothers and sisters here will do the same thing,
there is nothing we cannot accomplish for God’s kingdom.
 
Random stuff:
 
- Ask Dave about the ride today. It was better than a
theme park. - I’m going to come home with this accent. Just get
over it ahead of time. - Munched more babies today.
- Most of us got to participate in a baby dedication
ceremony Sunday at the church. It was so cool!!!!! We
held the babies facing their parents and the
congregation while the pastor did a pledge similar to
what we do at Central. **baby munch**
- Everyone is still healthy and having too much fun.

Posted via email from Christie's posterous

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home