High Flight

Saturday, July 25, 2009

Those drums, those drums! (And other more important stuff)

Before I write today’s blog, I wanted to clarify that
I am purposely leaving out last names, specific
church names, etc. for safety reasons. Thanks, Joe
and Michael, for the suggestions. We feel very safe
here, but it never hurts to make extra efforts to
protect ourselves.
 
This morning we were on our own in the hostel – The
other visitors are gone, and the staff is off for the
weekend. Stan made us a wonderful breakfast! He is so
multitalented! ;) I’ve been cracking up at how he and
Donna are so ga-ga over each other all the time. It’s
really sweet.
 
After breakfast we went to the main Campus of the
church we are helping. Mark, Mark and James met with
all the deacons of the church here and all its
missions. They had about 40 people total and said it
went very well, discussing the role of deacons much
like the class Mark is teaching at Central.
 
Meanwhile, the rest of us went prayer walking in the
area around the church. I wrote a long description of
this experience in my journal that I don’t think this
computer here can handle. ;) (I’m having to type,
wait, type, wait…) I will condense to say, I couldn’t
get the song, “God of This City” out of my head.
“Greater things are yet to be done here.” How
wonderful to just be present, much less have the
privilege of participating in a very small part of that.
 
Next we went back to one particular street to witness
using our ready-made bracelets. This was very
effective and powerful, and we had quality
conversations with many people. Some were not
believers and prayed to receive Christ. Others were
Christians of several different faiths who were very
excited about the bracelet idea; almost every one of
them reviewed and learned the story so they could
share with others. There were two young men I
remember in particular who were refugees from Sudan.
They were Methodist, I believe, with a very real
relationship with Jesus. It was so encouraging to
meet some of our brothers and sisters in Christ and
see first hand how little race, nation, and even
denomination has to do with anything if we have a
true relationship with Jesus in common. Most of these
believers asked for a few more bracelets, reviewed
once or twice, and promised to help us tell others.
 
We went back to the main church for lunch, and then
left for the market we had visited earlier in the
week. I was so excited to go back for my drum!! I
can’t tell you what all I got, because it’s surprise
gifts for the family. But of course, I was on a
bee-line (after getting the other stuff) for the drum
guys I hung out with earlier.
 
David and “Slow” found me in the market and wanted to
make sure I remembered to come to their shop. Of
course I was! Slow even walked with me a while to
fend off the other vendors (who are VERY
aggressive!), then held my hand – a sign of
friendship here, so don’t freak, Joe – walking me to
the shop.
 
We got to play drums together again, and this time I
got it on video. We really made friends and
connected. As I was leaving I spoke with them about
salvation using the bracelets. They said they were
Christians, Slow being Catholic and seemed to have a
genuine relationship with Jesus. I think Stan took
video of me sharing the bracelet story with him and
the others, and after I left, Slow telling others the
story himself. How wonderful to possibly have a role
in making disciples!
 
Afterwards we went to a very modern mall – I had no
idea such a thing was here! It was very nice,
actually nicer than our mall. And it had a grocery
store! We went there to get supplies for the week’s
lunches that we couldn’t find earlier. While there, I
was tempted by the pasta and asked if they’d like me
to cook dinner tonight, since we were going to have
to go out otherwise. If you know me, you know – I
couldn’t go all week without cooking! We figured out
the ingredients, which are very different here, and
we made spaghetti and meat sauce, garlic bread, and
fried plantains with cane sugar. Today was one of those days that I probably won’t
feel the full impact until much later. We are so
busy, in a good way, that it’s hard to reflect on the
power of what’s going on. Seeing Slow teaching others
about Jesus after I had left was one moment that I
knew would hit me harder later on. How awesome, how
powerful it has been to declare the name of Jesus and
have a hand in His work.
 
Bullets:
 
- We’re all very healthy, happy and having waaaay too
much fun together. - Dave had us all singing “We are the World” while
leaving the mall. Stinker.
- Cookies are expensive, really good ground beef is not. - You will have no problem picking us out the first
Sunday we'll be back. You'll see why.
 
Later!

Posted via email from Christie's posterous

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home